Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Greetings, from a Patriot..



While this is not a political blog, and in no way do I intend to use this as a political platform - or to alienate readers of any political persuasion, this is a blog about family...farming...resources...and about how we treat each other.  So here we go!!

I just cried a little while watching the recap of last evenings events on the Today Show.  (I cry easily, don't even get me started on the Les Mis preview!)  This morning, I am truly grateful to be an American.  I am truly grateful that I was able to vote for someone that I absolutely believed in, not just the lesser of the two evils.

It's all punches and blows...cheap shots and snarky comments...until the final draw.  And then we move on.  Concession. (though a little late in the evening, and I am a little sleepy ;).  And we see the other party wish the President luck, and vow to keep in him in his prayers.  So let's move on together.  All of us.  I will not get angry any more when you're party's posts show up on my FB page because you have "liked" him, and you will not have to endure my passive aggressive party comments.

Because we probably have the same beliefs, and most of the same core values.  So, what a perfect time to check in with our spouses, our families, and our children on what our role is as we move into the next four years.

There are so many issues that I consider out of my hands.  The government controls many of the decisions regarding my life...finances, women's rights, war, peace, etc, etc.  We vote for officials that we feel will fight for us regarding these issues, but there are things that we can do within our own families to keep this country the land of the free and the home of the brave - for our children, and for our children's children.

On a daily basis, we do have the power to control our consumption of resources...energy, gas.  Tighten that house up!  Turn the thermostat down one degree at a time and put on a frickin' sweater...you will be really surprised at what new low number is perfectly pleasant.  When we moved in here, the thermostat had a timer that upped the temp to 78' all day and all night.  We would think that we had fixed it, and then run down sweating and swearing in the middle of the night - or come home to an overly warm and toasty empty house.  My gut is to turn the heat up when family is coming over, but my mom and sister keep their thermostat's low too!!  (and everyone loves to cuddle under a big afghan).

Buy local.  Plant your own veg.  Raise your own meat.  Can, freeze, dry, preserve...fill the larder.  Save gas on food transportation.  Support your local farmers.  Save money and gain a sense of self fulfillment.

Reduce your consumption of stuff.  I don't just thrift because I'm cheap (though that's part of it), but because I just don't believe in buying another sweater from Old Navy when there are fifty at the thrift store.  This is quickly becoming an economy of used stuff....ebay, etsy, craig's list.  I know it's not for everyone, but the less crap we buy from China, the better we will be in the long run.  Try buying from or trading with each other.  New is not always better ;).

Finally, be good to each other.  Treat each other with respect.  Go out of your way to just do something really nice for someone else.  Be patient and kind.  And, most importantly, teach your children these same values.

Because we, and they, are the future of this great nation.  Let's do this together!

"I believe we can seize this future together because we are not as divided as our politics suggests. We’re not as cynical as the pundits believe. We are greater than the sum of our individual ambitions, and we remain more than a collection of red states and blue states. We are and forever will be the United States of America."   President Barack Obama


xoxo, e.

1 comment:

  1. "There's no place out there for graft, or greed, or lies, or compromise with human liberties. And, uh, if that's what the grownups have done with this world that was given to them, then we'd better get those boys' camps started fast and see what the kids can do. And it's not too late, because this country is bigger than the Taylors, or you, or me, or anything else. Great principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just have to see them again!" - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete