Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Bat in My Belfry.

We are an equal opportunity farm.  If you are a sweet animal or insect, you are probably welcome here...save two exceptions - don't eat my chickens, and don't come into my home in the middle of the night.

Last  night, as I laid in bed, I could here something in the hall.  We're talking maybe 3 a.m.  Florence, the little Siamese kitty, was leaping at something and then landing with a thump.

Leap, land, thump.
Leap, land, thump.
Leap, land, thump, screech, squeal ?#@!

Crap, perhaps she caught a mouse, and I knew I should investigate before she proudly brought it into the bed (this has never happened to me, a mouse in the bed, but it did happen to my sister!).  I turned on the bathroom light and started walking towards the hallway....and swoosh...something flew at my head.  I ran into the bathroom and closed the door.  I cracked the door open and yelled -

me:  Joe, there is something flying around the bedroom.

Joe:  It's nothing honey, go back to bed.

me:  Joe it's a huge moth or a bat, you're gonna have to address this.

Joe:  Go back to bed, it's only a mo...  oh f#@k it's a bat.

Let me pause here and inform you that for some reason my husband jumped out of bed fully clothed in khaki shorts and a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up - like a hot Indiana Jones ready to hunt bats at 3 am.

The bat was in heaven flying around my vaulted ceiling, weaving through the chandelier, dive bombing Joe.  He caught it in a sheet after a few passes, and threw it out the window.

We got in bed and he cuddled up to me with his khaki shorts.

me:  Why are you fully dressed?

Joe:  I'm always ready for an expedition babe.

True Story.


The bat hunter.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, Ha, yeah we've had that happened on more than one occasion at the old house. Wait till you run into snakes in the basement, yuck.

    ReplyDelete