Friday, August 3, 2012

"Keep Your Powder Dry...

....Off ya go now."  Said the sweet man.

Sometimes patients of mine, and their families, become special.  This husband and wife duo have become just that.

When I read the notes before I went to visit my little old gal this week, they stated, simply, "Hospice aid set patient's pin curls while her husband went fishing."  These are my kind of people, and I adore them. My gal is from Tennessee, and has a sweet and  thick Tennessee drawl to prove it.  Her husband fishes every morning, bringing home a cooler of spoils each day before breakfast.

This week I took them a box of veggies from my garden and some eggs from the coop.   His simple response was "Well now.  Can't beat that."

As I was leaving, he took me back into his garden and insisted on sending me off with 2 beautiful purple peppers.  Good, old fashioned, simple values.  Veggies for veggies.  Kindness for kindness.

As I walked down the driveway he yelled "Keep your powder dry, off ya go now."  I know this old colloquialism from a Harry Nilsson song as covered by Neko Case - Don't Forget Me.  The phrase references the civil war era, and was commonly used among the soldiers, as in, "Keep your gun powder dry and always be prepared!"  Hearing it from him just made me smile.


Ed filleting his morning catch.

And then the sweet dear asked me to sing her this....


Have a perfect weekend!   xoxo, e.

No comments:

Post a Comment