Tuesday, March 26, 2013

And the Vintage Gods Are Smiling.

*Disclaimer*
The results of this thrifting trip are not typical.  I am usually happy to find one wow item on any given trip.  This trip yielded the score of all scores.

On a recent morning, Joe brought me a cup of coffee as I sulked in that "can't get a positive pregnancy test or start my period" pit of despair.  Which is pretty much the worst time in the whole month long process of this.  Just something give already!

"Come on" he said.  "Let's go to the thrift store and be there when it opens...in your pj's.  Don't even change."  Awesome.  That man knows me like the back of his hand.

He poured to-go cups of coffee, and I threw on a hat and a flannel over my fleece  pajama pants (and that whole phrase sounds like a fashion rock bottom.  and it was.)  But I was still better dressed than most of the old ladies waiting in line for the thrift store to open.

I am methodical and routine in my shopping.  Jewelry, then dresses, then shoes, then everything else.  I give the place a little scan first to see if I have any competition lurking around...i.e. if I have to be panicked to get all of the good stuff before someone else does. (that sounds totally neurotic now that I see it in print). (maybe replace methodical with OCD?).

But I was all set on this particular morning.  Just me and the old ladies.  I started sifting through dresses and found a gorgeous 1950's party dress.  And then another.  And then another.  And then I thought to myself "ohmygodohmygodohmygod they put out someone's entire amazing wardrobe last night!"  Then I think I pushed a lady out of the way to finish going through the dresses.  I had a perfect cart full from the 1940's through 1960's.  Many with tags.  Seriously.  



And then I was all "what else did they put out of her's last night?!"  I ran to the fancy dress section, and there it was.  All lacey and satiny.  It wasn't till I was in line that I even thought to look at the label.  Sigh.  Gasp.  Oh my God this shit is for real.  Ceil Chapman's are breathtaking and fancy folks.


Then the cashier was all "Do you have a 1/2 off coupon?" ????  What?? I thought coupon's expired yesterday!  "No, tomorrow" she said.  And, up walks a lovely old lady who offered me one of her extras.   Because you make friends with the old ladies when you are waiting in line for the thrift store to open.  And sometimes it pays off.  I needed that half off coupon, because $1.80 was clearly too much to pay for a 1940's rayon dress with the original belt. (*note sarcasm here*).

Thanks Karma, I needed a solid today.  xoxo, e.

p.s.. if you were wondering about the cow in labor whom we left to get Chinese food (Confused?  see here), well...It's A Girl!!

2 comments:

  1. Bull-Dog!!! is that in my size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It's a little bitty thing. But at the store I was totally like "AHH I just got Naomi's wedding dress for $2.50!" We'll find her...don't you worry!

      Delete