Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chick Days.


Have you ever run into Tractor Supply to get cat food, but then gotten side tracked by the tiny white chick that was cuddling with a duckling, and her tiny bantam friend...but then you remember that there is a six chick minimum so you pick out four more?...why not right?   Happy Chick Days!!!

It's that time of year people...chick days!  Some people have tiny chicks pipping and peeping in their incubators, some get a call early one morning from the post office that their chicks have been delivered...and some people just go to Tractor Supply and pick out chicks!

If you've never been to Tractor Supply, you should probably go.  Farm stuff, all matter of pet stuff, boots, kick ass jeans, goo goo clusters, peanut butter filled pretzels...we all have our favorites at TS.   It is the joke around here every year that your Christmas present is probably coming from either Value World or Tractor Supply.  I could hang out in there all day - especially when the chicks come in!

They have big metal bins set up in the middle of the store with all different kinds of chicks and ducklings.  You don't have to buy any (but you probably will), but you should probably take the kids in to have a look...it will make you happy for the rest of the day!

This year is my year to re-boot my flock.   My plan is to get 18 new chicks total (and maybe some ducklings a little later in the spring...don't want them in the house because they are a hot wet mess :).   I have specific breeds that I love/want, so in all of my driving for work I pop into the different TS's to see what kind each store has.  I've gotten 12 so far...but I need to pace myself.  There are a few more breeds that I hope come in to round out the flock!


Tiny chicks in giant bins...peep peep peeping!


And Oh the Ducklings!  They are getting so big that they are "on sale" for .50 cents.  They are hopping out of the bins at night, waddling around the store, and setting off the security censors.  God I love them.




Coco carrying her chick "to go" container :).


My babies!! "I'll just take a quick nap in the food" the tiny one said.


The Set Up - Chicks live under a heat lamp in your house till warm spring days.  The dining room excitedly gets turned into the nursery!


The Watchdog - Trixie jumped in once and layed down with them...she is a herding dog people!   It's her instinct!

xoxo, e.

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me?! The herding dog puts it over the top. That's the cutest thing I can think of.

    Also: I totally saw you guys on Arcadian's Facebook! I think I squealed out loud in my cubicle.

    ReplyDelete