Thursday, May 2, 2013

Zenni, An Eye Glasses Love Affair.

On May first, my health care benefits at work rolled over into a new year.  So, last week I had to do a bunch of annoying adult stuff and figure out plans and deductibles and such.  As I did the math on our optical insurance, I got really frustrated.  

While an eye exam is covered under out "not cheap" vision plan, it always feels like nothing else is.  This is covered at 80%, and that is is covered at 40%, etc.  When all is said and done, after anti scratch, anti glare, frames, lenses, etc., it costs Joe and I hundreds of dollars out of pocket to get new glasses...

That is, until we found Zenni Optical!!!

An eye exam is really cheap these days due to the plethora of vision places competing for your business.  It's the frames that they rape and pillage you on, and that is how they make their cash flow.  But once you have a copy of your eye prescription, you can go to any brick and mortar or online store to buy your frames and lenses.  And that, good friends, is where Zenni comes in.

The prices are the best I've found online (ranging from $6-$46) and the quality of the frames is better than that of our glasses from the optometrist.  There are a ton of cute vintage styles, and you can order any of them as sunglasses too!  You can search by shape, color, style, price, size, etc.  So here are my tips....

#1 - Find your PDF (pupillary distance) on your script and use this in your search perimeters.  Not every pair of glasses comes in every size, so this narrows your search.

#2 - Spring the extra $4.95 for the anti glare lenses.  This option is at checkout.

And that's it.  Seriously, it's that easy.  Joe and I have both gotten so many awesome pairs over the last year and half.  It's kind of addicting.  I mean, I'd spend $25 on a new dress, so why not on a "facial accessory" that I wear every day?  So here we go!!.....

My "I'm just a retro mamma" pair.  $25.95


My "I'm fancy cuz my glasses sparkle" pair. $25.95


My "Perfect with a floral dress" pair.  $27.95


My "I'm doing my homework!" pair. $23.95


 These have become my every day pair...who knew?  $29.95



Next on my wish list?  Everyone is listing super cute round 1920's styles in anticipation of The Great Gatsby coming out...and I want some!

photo credit Kelly
...Oh, and these little guys came last week.  Meet the Bourbon Red Turkeys!  Cute enough to eat?  ;)
xoxo, e.

17 comments:

  1. I have been trying to find cute and stylish eye glasses in edmonton. Thanks so much for posting this great information! It gave me some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every pair looks good on you, Erica! Maybe you should do a blog post about picking the right eyeglasses. A lot of people are having problems regarding that, even people who've been wearing glasses for a long time. I'm looking forward to it. :* Augusta @Klein Optical

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great article. I love all these glasses they are so unique. I did not know Givenchy and Berdel made vintage eyeglasses. I really enjoy these styles of glasses because they can go with so many outfits. Since I need to wear them all the time for my vision, I decided to find a few that are at least fashionable. I have a different clothing style so I usually wear vintage eyeglasses because they come in many styles and colors. Thanks for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these look great I loved the article! I've been looking for eyeglasses in Libertyville, IL and I would definitely wear something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did a great job by posting about the Zenni, An Eye Glasses Love Affair.Thanks for the nice information.

    http://focusop.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.....Truly to say I really like the design of your eye glass....It was so amazing to used..
    Manhattan eye doctors

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all really cute! I have tried ordering from there but they ask for things that my eye doctor didn't write on my prescription so I don't know what to put. I am due for another eye exam so maybe I'll just ask him when I go. I think my eyes have changed a bit so it would be pointless to order glasses right now anyway.

    http://www.trendsettereyewear.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you got so many new pairs that all look so fun! I would love to have so many options to pick from! I have contacts and I used to wear glasses but I need a new pair again. My old ones are out of style now and look a little worn.
    Shelly Slader | http://www.crowfootvisioncentre.ca/frames.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glasses are a really fun way to show your style. I have worn both contacts and glasses. Some days I want to wear my glasses and not mess with my contacts.
    http://theopticalview.com/eyeglasses/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally kicking myself for not buying the pale, sparkly ones. I got three others, so I think I can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates. Lasik Eye Surgery Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eyeglasses of every style, fashion, frame material and color, lens sizes are avail online and you can easily Buy Eyeglasses Online from Time to Shade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buy eyeglasses and frames online at cheap price. Order your fashion and prescription glasses for men, women and kids from Meetoot online glasses and get 25% off on second pair.

    best online prescription glasses
    best online prescription glasses

    ReplyDelete