Sunday, March 11, 2012

Birthday Bliss and Neighbors We Love.

We moved to the farm in the dead of winter.  We met a few of the neighbors in passing, but out in the sticks no one really socializes in the winter - we hunker.  But, some magical person was plowing our driveway with every snowfall, so we knew we were in good company from the get go.   As summer rolled through, we decided to throw a little soiree.  Before the big summer hootenanny, Joe and I put invites in all of the neighbors mailboxes.  On the big day, at the stroke of 2:00 on the nose, lovely people - old and young - started walking up the driveway with pies and casseroles.  Each one looked hesitant, not really sure if they were supposed to be here with their tupperware and folding chairs.  But they were, indeed, very welcome.  The neighbor contingent set up camp on the porch, and talked the day away into the sunset, telling stories of the different owners, just happy to be together.

And that was the beginning of something beautiful, especially with Al and Lois.  They live across the street.  Al plows our driveway in the winter, and mows the lawn in the summer if he gets an extra wind.  He truly likes helping others, and beams with a sense of pride when you need something and he's got it (which is often the case, because Al has everything).  Al and Lois have us over for ribs and classic country karaoke night,  and I send over sweets.  We call and check on each other - each conversation ending with a heartfelt "I love you kids" and "we love you too."

So when Al called on my birthday this week and needed Joe to help him for a minute, I should not have been impatient.  But Joe was supposed to pick up Coco, and we were late for sushi night at Allison's, and, and, and... Little did I know that Al needed Joe's help getting me a boatload of goat fencing into the trailer!  (And in case this doesn't seem exciting to you, my birthday list included bees, goats, and goat fencing).


So, thank you.  Thank you to Al for my fencing.  Thank you to my sweet friends for sushi and heirloom seeds and chicken themed home decor.  Thank you to my parents for a lovely birthday weekend on the farm, and for being my parents.  Thank you to my sister for indulging me with fancy new make-up.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.


Leisurely Sunday morning with dad.


Spring is springing!
And bye the bye, we worked our sweet polish dupes off last summer kicking these gardens into shape...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment