Friday, April 5, 2013

Oh Virginia!

In an attempt to fill my empty womb, I've been surrounding myself with animals (that sounds dramatic, but it's kind of true).  We had a very special delivery this weekend (and by delivery, I mean my dear friends caught them in their pen, bagged them up, and brought them to me...dressed in party clothes. Cuz that's how they roll)....Meet Montgomery, Virginia, and Opal.  And I love them.  They are giant, and beautiful, and always appear that they are dressed in their finery, waiting for me to bring them a cocktail.  


I'm certainly no expert (yet), but I believe we have India Blue peafowl.  The plan was to keep them in the barn for a while, so they knew that they were "home."  Then, as they did at their previous home, we would let them free range.  Ready for a good story?   Sit back, here we go.

A few days ago, Joe was taking some leafy greens out to the barn for the fowl.  As the barn door was open, Mr. Monty flew right over Joe's head, past the big barn, across the corn field, and into the woods across the street.  Like a little robin, he flew like nobody's business.  I was sitting on the couch, and saw a huge bird land....and then I saw Joe running after him with two hands full of leafy greens.  Damn it!

I was in the car in a second, and Joe and I drove over...thinking we would find a giant blue bird in a completely brown woods in like two second.  Wrong.  He completely disappeared.  We hiked the woods for hours.  My lips froze.  I was in crocs with no socks.  And I was furious.  

I cried.  I made a flyer.  We talked to all of the neighbors, who are amazing, and who invited us in to share a cocktail over our lost peacock fate.  All eyes were peeled for the missing Cesarz peacock!

Fast forward 24 hours.  Joe was making dinner when neighbor Al called.  "There is a peacock in my yard, you kids should come see it!" "That's our peacock Al!!!!  We'll be right there!" Joe yelled excitedly.

When Monty saw us, he flew into the swamp.  Neighbor CJ heard the commotion and wanted in on the action.  He brought Joe his waders and a fishing net, and perched himself as the lookout to direct Joe in the swamp.  You would not believe how a huge blue bird can disappear and blend in in a swamp! 

*pause*  In the middle of the peacock hunt, I saw a huge crazy face opossum walking through the sunshine towards my barn.  What in the hell?  F$#@er!  I screamed for Joe, ran and got the gun, and he and CJ cornered and shot the little bugger.  Then went back to catch a peacock!

There was chasing and diving.  And about a 1/2  an hour later, Joe came walking up the drive with an angry (and in trouble!) peacock.  Monty is sooo grounded.

We put a net over the top of the outdoor pen so they can sun themselves for awhile before they get another chance at "free ranging"!


Have a Beautiful Day..And a very Happy 7th Birthday to my little Coco Rose!!

xoxo, e.

No comments:

Post a Comment