Sunday, January 13, 2013

Annabelle.

Yesterday I sang at the funeral of one of my special gals.  For the last few years, Ann and I spent time together every week.  This is a gift that we don't get with many hospice patients.  But Ann was the gal with 9 lives...literally.  We were called in 8 times over the last few years because she was ready to go, on her way out, this time for sure.  Yet every time, I'd cozy up next her bed, start playing her favorite music, and she would roll over and say "Oh, you know I like to look at you while you sing!  Wait a minute and let me get comfy here.  You are so pretty!  I love you so much!" - she was like a little pep talk in pajamas, always full of love and compliments, and I loved her too.

Truly, it was a gift to be on this journey with someone who, till our visit last week, was able to discuss what she was experiencing with me.  She was ready to go for so long, I'm not sure what kept her hanging on.  Her husband of 55 years, Dick, the love of her life, was waiting for her on the other side.  She was totally at peace with dying.  She would wake up every morning and say "Good Lord!  Am I still here?".

Part of this journey was planning her funeral service.  She knew what she wanted sang, which versions, and who she wanted to sing them.  I promised her week after week that I would sing The Old Rugged Cross, When We all Get to Heaven (the Alan Jackson version ;), and You are My Sunshine, her special song with Dick.

I've been asked to sing "crazy" things at funerals over the years.  One old gal walked the halls of her nursing home singing "She'll be Coming Around the Mountain," and so this was how she was remembered.  One family asked that I sing "Will the Circle be Unbroken," boasting the endearing words "undertaker, undertaker, won't you please drive kind of slow...cuz that lady that your haulin', Lord I hate to see her go!"

These are not my choices, I'm just there to make the family happy and comfortable.  But today, when I arrived at the funeral and looked at the program, and saw that Ann's special requests had been nixed, I took action.  I was given 10 minutes of "pre-music" before the service, and then had some pieces during, but not her requests.

So, during my ten minutes, I did a rousing rendition of "When We All Get to Heaven", and the sweetest, most tender "You Are My Sunshine" that I could muster.

Because I promised.  Thank you Annabelle, for all of the beautiful talks, the tender hugs, and for the meaningful journey.  xoxo...e.


I'm including an outfit post, because Ann loved my style.  She couldn't wait to see what "get-up" I'd show up in each week...




outfit details:
1940's black dress - thrifted ($1.80. for real.)
1960's beaded cardi - thrifted
black patent belt - thrifted
sweater chain - thrifted
champagne drop earrings - Stella and Dot
Victorian embroidered patch broach - thrifted
T-strap pumps - Ann Klein, TJ Maxx ;)
Oxblood bow clutch - thrifted
Chicken - Dolly Parton.


What, you thought I went tromping around the farm to take pics in my pumps?

No comments:

Post a Comment