Sunday, January 27, 2013

I Love When They Get it Wrong.

Happy one year shop-aversary to Farmstead Vintage!  A year ago, I was scared to take the leap.  I remember hemming and hawing, scared to post my first piece...scared that I would never sell a thing.  But here we are, you and I, 226 sales later!  Every sale is still as exciting as the first.  I am totally proud of what I have created, and that feels good.

I want to chat a little about the thrift of it all.  I'm a treasure hunter.  I love sifting through dingy stores to find the gems.  If you have great thrift stores near you, by all means go scavenge them and do not waste your money on me.  But, that is the beauty of why Etsy and Ebay work.  I may find your perfect dress in Detroit, and you may find my perfect cowboy boots in Nashville.  And, we are both willing to pay for the service of the other getting out there and finding them!

I don't however, only thrift for vintage.  Many of the items I score are new indeed.  I dress Coco in Hannah Anderson and Mini Boden, and she sports a new pair of Bogs each winter.  Joe is always a dapper dan for work, and when things get hair dye and bleach on them at the salon, I can throw them away because they were dirt cheap.  I hate paying more than around $3.00 for clothes or shoes, and no more than $10 for quality boots.

One of the best parts about thrifting is when "they" get it wrong.  Sometimes the pricers mark really quality items at $1.80, and crappy Kohl's brand things as high end.  And we, good people, are the beneficiaries of these  mis-pricing shenanigans!

My friend Kelly and I tag team all of the local thrift stores.  I often check my texts to find she has sent yet another picture of her cart loaded with goodness.  Sometimes one does not find a thing, but when the getting' is good...it's really good.


The recent spoils...

New J Crew cream wool and cashmere pea coat...$5.80.



On sale here for $189.99

Stella and Dot Chandelier earrings...$3.20



New here for $49.00

Vintage Frye Harness Boots (can't tell you what I paid because I'll sell these :)



They've made this style for decades, but seen new here for $298.00

And, The piece de resistance of the week...a brand new The Kid Craft My Modern Dollhouse  
$10.81 at the thrift store.


List Price $199.99.  I know.

And this, she said,  is why I thrift.  
Here's to another successful year!  xoxo, e.



1 comment: