Saturday, January 5, 2013

...to give..(craft till you drop!)

I did my very best this year to shop small, shop local and to give hand made gifts.  This can be summed up in a few words...lip balm and bow ties!  

I kept seeing swanky bow tie booths at these hipster craft fairs, and my immediate gut reaction was to buy bow ties for everyone I knew.  My next reaction was to figure out how to make them instead ;).  One deconstructed men's tie from the thrift store (say, $1.00), makes one bow tie.  I bought bow tie clips (sizes for men and little boys) to sew onto the backs from this gal, and I was off....



The two for my brother-in-law turned out so well...I just couldn't stop!


Plaids and gingham for the little boys...


Oh, who am I kidding...bow ties for everyone!!


On combs for the little girls, and on head bands for the bigger girls!

Somehow, I spent the most time crafting for my brother in law (not that he doesn't deserve it...you're an awesome daddy Nick!!)...plaid fedora (bought) with handmade feather sprig from turkey harvest 2011 and fallen chicken 2012...



Part Deux...we had such an awesome amount of bees wax from our honey harvest, and you know what they say...if you have bees wax, make lip balm!!  (do they say that?  well, they do now!)  So, I ordered the tubes, made up some cutie pie labels, and, voila!


Thank you Samantha and Austin for your awesome help!


Labeled, packed, and ready to go to family Christmas!

Lip balm...
One part bees wax
three parts carrier oil (sweet almond, coconut, etc.)
a few drops of essential oil if ya like.
SO Easy...I know right?


Remember how many dogs (and cat) there were at my mom's for Christmas?  They were so good and only knocked Sadie down a few times ;)
Martha, Trixie, Ruby Jean, and Maggie Cat striking!

xoxo, e.

1 comment:

  1. The bow tie trend has been slower to reach Canadian shores, but this past holiday season I began to see them popping up in more shops here in my little town, too. I love that you decided to cut costs and whip up some of your own. These are absolutely marvelous! I've never worn a bow tie, but think I'd give one a spin - especially if they were this stylish.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you deeply for your immensely kind comment on my wig reveal post. It's really interesting to hear your husband say that thinning hair is the most common issue he hears women speak about. I actually stopped going to salons a few years ago because I found many of the stylists to be judgmental and even rude sometimes about the handfuls of hair that would come out as they worked with my locks. No one I saw (at the time in Toronto) was ever understanding, which struck me as odd, because I'm sure I wasn't the first client with thinning hair they'd ever encountered. Oh well, I saved money and got really good at cutting and colouring my own hair at home as a result. Thank you again very much for your comment ♥

    ReplyDelete